Qatar is keen on protecting its environment and natural resources in line with the Qatar National Vision 2030, which aims at cementing Qatar’s position as an advanced nation capable of achieving sustainable development and a better way of life for the country’s future generations.
For this purpose, Qatar has prioritized environmental sustainability within its development plans and has sought to develop a forward-looking strategy that will contribute to addressing the challenges faced by the State in this field through:
– Balancing the development strategy between economic prosperity and environmental protection
– Rationalizing the consumption and use of rare and limited natural resources, especially water
– Reducing waste and increasing recycling
– Encouraging regional cooperation to reduce the effects of pollution resulting from development activities
– Promoting environmental awareness
In this context, the Ministry of Municipalities and Environment was established to promote environmental sustainability and to coordinate environmental initiatives in Qatar. The ministry works closely with officials in a number of government agencies to develop responsible environmental policies and lead efforts to expand the knowledge banks relating to Qatar’s environmental data records.