In recent years, the State of Qatar has sought to accelerate the pace of projects being implemented for the development of the agricultural sector by supporting local efforts to undertake investment projects in this sector, which will enable Qatar to achieve the self-sufficiency in terms of vegetables and fruits by 2030.
Qatar has developed an agricultural plan to reduce agricultural imports and to increase the number of farms to 2,000 in coming years.
The following data indicate the development of the agricultural sector in Qatar:
- Qatar is home to a total of 1438 farms.
- The number of active farms in Qatar reached 833.
- Active farms cover a total area of 33,000 hectares.
- Arable land across active farms is 20 thousand hectares.
- Crop area across active farms is 10 thousand hectares.
- The degree of agricultural intensification is 51.6%.